top

Friday, July 20, 2012

Wm. J. Mills & Co Typewriter bag Review

   Hi everybody. A couple months ago, I posted my trip to the Capsule Trade show http://www.staycrispymyfriends.blogspot.com/2012/02/capsule-trade-show-new-york-coverage_22.html I had great time talking to Tom Beatty of Wm. J. Mills .Wm. J. Mills & Co is a family owned business in Greenport that has been around since 1880. All their bags are handcrafted here in Greenport. Wm. J. Mills & Co. started out in the sail making business in the 19th century, the Mills have focused on awnings, custom-canvas products, and canvas accessories for Boston Whaler boats in recent years. A genuine company that that been around for five generations that makes exceptional quality canvas bags. I love all the bags that they had during the trade show. I asked him if they offered any bags in waxed canvas. He shows me a couple of waxed canvas bags. The bag the really caught my attention was the waxed canvas messenger bag. Tom and I had great conversation about how great is waxed canvas. I remember telling him that all my bags that I own are waxed canvas.









 The bag first of all looks great. It’s a charcoal grey color. I think that's a great color option because most bags that are waxed canvas are usually olive green and brown. The bag is very sturdy. I’m sure it will last long. If you’re not familiar with wax cotton, waxed cotton is cotton impregnated with paffin based wax .Waxed cotton is one of the oldest methods of waterproofing and still is around because it’s very effective. Waxed cotton dates back before the 1900s when it came from Scottish mill that wove sails for the British clipper fleet. Linseed oil was used to waterproof sailcloth for use in seamen's clothing. Then it was replaced with the impregnating paffin based wax into cotton.


Water is not getting in this bag
 I got the bag a couple of months ago I gave it a good test drive for a couple of months. I didn’t want to write about it right away because I wanted to see the bag build character. Waxed Cotton gets better as it ages. Over the past months the bag has gotten softer which I really like. That’s why waxed cotton is my favorite type of fabric. All my waxed cotton bags and clothing have aged beautifully.

 
What I like about the bag is obviously its being wax cotton. It has a large flap which protects the inside from elements like rain and snow. No zipper just a brass turn lock that gives you quick access to the bag. The brass turn lock really gives the bag a special appeal. The bag really stands out with the turn lock. You can see right away the craftsmanship that was put in to the bag. I didn’t find any defects. Also the bag is breaking in nicely I’m starting to see scuffs on bag which I like.
Brass Turn Lock

I love the logo very classic and simple
 
The bag is starting to get scuff marks I like
 
This bag has become the bag that I take everywhere for doctors appointments, meeting and special events. I like the bag because it’s very simple and classic yet very useful. For example, that bag can hold all my required accessories that I need when I’m outside like cell phone, tablet, books magazines, my sunglasses and pens The bag is very rugged yet light, which I love the most. For example, I can go to school with my books; tablet and food in the bag. I don’t need to worry about getting caught in the rain with my tablet or camera in the canvas bag. Since the bag is water repellent and its exterior holds up to a lot of abuse. This messenger bag surprises me when I was able to fit my enormous Edgar Allen Poe book along with other things that I must carry everyday. It has dividers which keeps the bag organize.

My Edgar Allen Poe book is wider than the bag and its fits.Just to give you a picture of how big is the book its nearly 1,000 pages

My must haves

The dividers keeps me organize very helpful

Now the bag is pretty organized. For example, I have been using the bag for work and all my stuff fits perfect. When school starts, this messenger bag is going to have a lot of use. A notebook or tablet fit perfectly. Other amenities that the bag has are pen holders and a cell phone compartment. Interior organizer includes pockets for a laptop up to 13½" wide and an iPad® or tablet. Also comes with a pair of smaller pockets and space for four pens.


Compartment for pens,business cards and cellphone





 
I get a lot of compliments in the streets with this bag.I actually look forward for the days when it drizzles outside and I have my trench coat on. The trench coat and this bag is a dashing look. I usually wear it across my body.I wear it on my shoulders when I have my trench coat on.



The Trench

Leaving

I prefer wearing the bag across my body


Overall this is a superlative bag that I highly recommended for anybody that wants a simple bag. I can’t repeat myself enough to say how much I liked this bag. The bag is fairly simple isn’t complicated. I consider it a great investment for many reasons it’s waterproof, sturdy, looks great and it’s reliable. I’m sure it will last for a long time. The bag is unisex .Great bag if I need to replace this bag which I’m sure I won’t  it would be the same bag.http://shop.millscanvas.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment